Amazon Suppressed Listing: Resolve with Expert Help!
What is a Amazon Suppressed listing?
So what is an Amazon suppressed listing? When a listing doesn’t live up to Amazon’s rigorous standards, they willsuppressit.
These listings won’t be visible to your customers – hence the name, and listing suppression. Since the dawn of the COVID era, suppressed Amazon listings are one of the most common problems that a seller can face.
Simply put – Amazon suppressed listing is when Amazon hides your product from the search and browse areas because it doesn’t meet their listing standards.
What we cover in this blog
Here is a great example where the buy-box is suppressed. Look familiar?
Amazon does this to improve the shopping experience for their users by effectively deactivating low-quality product listings through suppression.
They want to maximize their customer’s ability to find, evaluate and quickly purchase products, and every decision behind suppressing a listing comes from a research-first approach to Amazon’s sales management.
When inside Seller Central, sometimes it’ll look like this:
How do Amazon Suppressed Listings Impact your Business?
Imagine you are trying to buy a product for your new dog on Amazon. You type in “dog toys,” and 4 options appear.
Normally, there would be a fifth, but one of the sellers has a suppressed listing – meaning that his products are not listed at all in the search and browse.
Simply put, suppressed listings can be a huge hit to your business.
Suppressed listings will not be visible to your customers, and you will quickly see your sales go to zero.
An unintended consequence of this is that your inventory in the FBA warehouse will become idle, which will take up your inventory limits and eventually impact your IPI score.
Want to double your Amazon sales using TikTok?
Download our exclusive TikTok playbook for Amazon Sellers & Merchants to learn how leading brands are using influencers to drive new revenue to their Amazon store.
What is the cause of Amazon suppressed listings?
There are quite a few reasons why an Amazon FBA listing may be suppressed, but the most common one by far is because of image compliance.
If your image is copied and not uploaded, or if the background is not plain white, Amazon may suppress your listing.
Some examples of other common reasons for a listing suppression may include:
- Not filling in the proper product information in your product listing
- If your clothing/accessory product listing titles are longer than 80 characters, or your other product listing titles are greater than 130 characters
- Titles that are blatantly promotional
- If there is a duplicate listing on Amazon
- Products without a defined category type or products that are not clearly defined
You can find additional information and read more about Amazon suppressed listing on Amazon Seller Central.
A solid Amazon Consulting firm will have great self-help resources on their website to help you understand some of the pitfalls of advertising on Amazon.
How to Fix an Amazon Suppressed Listing
Thankfully, it isn’t too complicated for a seller to identify and correct suppressed listings on their account.
The complexity arises because suppression presents a recurring obstacle for sellers to overcome, as you must constantly check your suppressed listing report to ensure that all of their products are listed correctly.
Here are the 6 easy steps to fix an Amazon suppressed listing:
- Navigate to the “Manage Inventory” account in the inventory tab on your Amazon Seller Central profile.
- If you do have any suppressed listening, a “Suppressed” button will appear.
- If there are any suppressed listings, click “Suppressed” and then select all of the affected listings.
- Edit the product listing accordingly, edit those that need information, or click “Manage Images” to correct any listings without adequate product pictures.
- The page will show an alert indicator when you edit it.
- Once all of the issues have been resolved, click “Save and Finish” to close out the page.
It is possible to fix listings in bulk through the magic of excel.
If you have a Professional selling plan, and you update your listings using inventory files, you can resolve issues by uploading an excel file within the “Inventory Reports” tab in Seller Central.
For a step-by-step explanation on how to resolve suppression issues via a bulk excel upload, check out thebottom of this pagefor a complete guide.
How to Prevent Suppressed Listings
Think about ways that you can improve your Amazon listing optimization.
Constantly review best practices laid out onSeller Central. Create a listing system and establish an SOP, or standard operating procedure for your team to adopt that respects Amazon’s listing requirements.
Another great way to prevent suppressed listings is to consider hiring anAmazon consultantwho has experience in handling suppressed listings.
A lot of the time, first-time sellers, and even some medium-sized sellers have difficulty avoiding suppressed listings. Considering an Amazon consultant can help you proactively reduce and eventually eliminate the possibility of future suppressed listings.
If you aren’t sure about where to start when it comes to hiring a consultant,check out this useful guideon finding one that is right for you.
What happens if my listing is incorrectly suppressed?
While it is uncommon, it is possible for your Amazon listing to be incorrectly suppressed. A common reason for incorrect suppression is due to aprohibited product claim. These guidelines exist to ensure that listings provide accurate and honest information to Amazon’s customers, ensuring that they have a positive shopping experience.
With that being said, Amazon’s algorithm may incorrectly flag products that it thinks violate those guidelines. They generally fall into two subtypes.
- If a listing is suppressed due to stranded inventory, the ASIN will be taken off of Amazon.
- You can find products stuck as stranded inventory in the “Manage Inventory” page as “Stranded Inventory”. Amazon will provide a “stranded reason,” like a missing attribute.
- Sellers can appeal to have this corrected, or fix the issue themselves by modifying the listing and removing a keyword or attribute.
- Occurs when an ASIN is flagged for a performance problem.
- The product detail page is typically removed from Amazon, or you will get an error that must be resolved in order to sell again.
- Resolving a performance notification is more complex, and it requires a Plan of Action (POA) comprised of three parts: Root Cause, Corrective Actions, and Preventative Actions.
- You can find this by visiting the “Voice of the Customer” dashboard in Seller Central. From there, you can review the flagged ASIN and submit a POA to have the listing unsuppressed.
Effectively selling products on Amazon is complex.
A great seller will have to juggle marketing efforts, logistics, case management, and more – meaning that a great seller will have their hands full.
This, combined with the constant pressure from maintaining great listings can make selling on Amazon overwhelming.
Need Listing Support?
If you don’t feel like you have the time to focus on preventing suppressed listings from happening, consider looking at a trustedMarketplace Consulting Agency.
Hiring the right agency can offer you effective account management that will help youoptimize your Amazon listings and your Amazon SEO, freeing up time for you to focus on the more important elements of your Amazon business.
Get 30-Day free trial for Amazon ad management services
From 100+ Reviews